Monday, December 14, 2009

Reflections on a Rumi Poem (2)

First, he tempted me
with infinite caresses.
He burnt me in the end
with pain and sorrow.
In this game of chess
I had to lose myself
in order to win him


My thoughts run round this poem seeking meaning. I am drawn in to the idea of being tempted in to something I want. The infinite caresses are touching me and inviting me towards something desirable. These could be promises people make about the power of harmony of self with environment and self with self (or realisation of no self) or some other form of enlightenment. I recoil at the idea of being burnt with pain and sorrow in the end. It gives me an image of moth attracted to the bright light of a flame and then burnt as it lands on the flame. Chess conjures up openings, mid game and end game and the poem suggests the early parts of the game are more enjoyable than the end. I am seeking to find a desirable aspect of the pain and sorrow but it does not come. Losing myself and giving up ego to attain enlightenment is the advice. Does this mean if I do so I end up with pain and sorrow? This idea clearly bothers me. I am bothered by ‘burnt’, ‘end’ and ‘pain and sorrow’. There is something going on in me that does seek a better state and so I show interest when people tell me they have found it. Losing a self to win him makes some sense from the reading I have done but is still an idea floating in and out of the mist ahead. I am left wondering what the poem is telling me. Is it hinting the journey is not worth it or is it hinting at some use of being burnt with pain and sorrow? I will come back to this one another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment